Robotics

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

JaceF

Robotics

Post by JaceF »

Hi, I was looking for robotics science fair projects but all of them are a little too easy and by the way, I'm on a FIRST robotics team.
fuzzyyellow

Re: Robotics

Post by fuzzyyellow »

Hi,

here is a link to some ideas to get you thinking:
I'm assuming you want more of a challenge.. :D
Keep in mind that with science buddies you can always go off an idea, improve it, and tweak it to your preference.
However, there are a lot of other websites with good info as well.

http://www.projects.juliantrubin.com/sc ... otics.html
kumars21
Former Student Expert

Post by kumars21 »

I think fuzzyyellow's idea of doing an arduino project would be great!

Recently, I was building a popcorn launcher that, using face detection, shoots popcorn into your mouth. It's a really fun project. I didn't get to finish it, but arduino projects are a great science project and really impressive if done well. There are a plethora of arduino creations on youtube, but I recommend doing something very creative and impactful.

What I suggest doing, something that I often do, is just think about what would be so much better in your life if it was automated. For example, a plant watered by an arduino would make gardening so much easier. However, make it your's and I would love to hear about what you are going to do.

Good Luck,
Shivansh
JaceF

Post by JaceF »

Ya I was thinking of using an Arduino the thing is I need something to measure. If you have any ideas
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi JaceF,
How about something like measuring the time needed for a robot to work through a maze using different algorithm / strategy that you design? Another example, based on Shivansh's post, is to measure / maintain moisture content in the plant soil with the arduino processor and see how that affects plant growth.

Good Luck!
Willey
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

Hi JaceF,

I'll add that you might want to look at the "BlueBot" projects on our site:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/search?v=pi&s=bluebot

this is a robot kit that does NOT include an Arduino, but you can add one to make the behavior more complicated. It includes four different types of sensors (motion, visible light, infrared, and touch). The basic projects each just use one type of sensor to allow the robot to do a very simple behavior. For example, there is a light-tracking robot that can ONLY steer left and right to follow a flashlight, but it can't go in reverse and it can't use the other sensors. If you add an Arduino you can change that.

You certainly don't need to buy the kit but those projects might give you some inspiration.

-Ben

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”