Help with Science Fair!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

roselove10905

Help with Science Fair!

Post by roselove10905 »

ok i need help my little brother(6th grader) has this science fair project do in like 10 days and im so having trouble explaining things his question is, do colored candles burn faster than white candles? And to be honest im a smart girl but not that smart with science so....can someone help a girl out here...please and thank you. :)
Huangmary727

Re: Help with Science Fair!

Post by Huangmary727 »

Welcome to Science Buddies,

You can view these websites to gain additional background knowledge before beginning: https://www.explainthatstuff.com/candles.html
https://candles.lovetoknow.com/Do_White ... ed_Candles

Unfortunately, I could not find a Science Buddies experiment to match your project. However, once you begin looking at those websites, you should be able to begin. A few things you could do/ keep in mind: Make sure the sizes of the candles are very close or the amount of time needed to burn the candle will vary. Using the candles from the same brand may be a good controlled variable. You could also designate a certain length that you want to burn the candle. For example, you could mark the candle one inch from the top and time how long it takes to reach that mark. I would recommend at least 2 trials of each candle color. 3 or more trials would be best. I would also recommend at least 5 different colors, one of them being white.

Hope this helps,
Science Buddies Expert
roselove10905

Post by roselove10905 »

what brand should i get like birthday candles....

and thanks
roselove10905

variables

Post by roselove10905 »

ok so i posted about my brothers project do colored candles burn faster than white candles now i need his variables i have controlled as how long it burns and what type of candle it is dependent as how fast it burns and independent as how many chemicals are in the candle

anyone wanna add to that

Moderator note: I have combined this post with your previous posts: please keep your posts on this project in the same thread so the expert who has been helping you can help you with your follow-up questions. Thank you.
roselove10905

candle dyes

Post by roselove10905 »

how much chemical dye is in a blue candle?
i need to know for the conclusion to my brother's science fair project....
Thanks. :D

Moderator note: I have combined your last 2 posts with your previous posts: please follow the Science Buddies guidelines and keep your posts on this project in the same thread so the expert who has been helping you can help you with your follow-up questions. Thank you.
leoulhacks

Post by leoulhacks »

I need help with my hypothesis for candy chromatography
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi leoulhacks,
Please let us know what you have so far for your hypothesis and we can try figuring out any road blocks together.

Thanks!
Willey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”