Bath bomb project question

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Rebecca0810

Bath bomb project question

Post by Rebecca0810 »

Hello. My daughter and I did the bath bomb project. (We bought the science kit in your site as well). Our hypothesis was that the extra cornstarch recipe will do more reaction (bubbles and fizziness) but we had to declined our hypothesis. The normal recipe did a way better and impressive bath bombs reaction. Also, the extra cornstarch recipe dissolve in less time than the normal one.

I just want to know if that make sense at all. I was with the impression that the filler (cornstarch) was supposed to do more reaction.

We can leave the project just like that or something is wrong and we need to do it again?

I was trying to upload 2 pictures (normal and extra filler recipe) but it wont let me. :(

Thank you in advance!

Rebecca & Rocio
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Re: Bath bomb project question

Post by RicaC »

Dear Rebecca and Rocio,

According to "The Science of Bath Bombs (and How to Make Them)" by Karen Rowan from Live Science, cornstarch is responsible for slowing down the rate of reaction between baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and citric acid. Therefore, it should take longer for the bath bomb created using the Extra Cornstarch Recipe to dissolve compared to the bath bomb created using the Normal Recipe.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

RicaC
Last edited by RicaC on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebecca0810

Post by Rebecca0810 »

Hi, again. Yes, Thank you very much!

Just another thing: Can you give me some options for a nice title for this project?

Have a nice day!!!!
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Post by RicaC »

Dear Rebecca and Rocio,

I would recommend creating a clear, specific, and well-developed title. A title for a science fair project is usually seen in this format: “The Effect of (Independent Variable) on the (Dependent Variable)”. This format allows easily for someone without any knowledge about your experiment to clearly understand the objective of it.

However, few ideas for a "catchy" or "creative" title are:
1. Secret to Have a Perfect Bath Bomb
2. Fizz! Fizzy! Fizzier! : Determining the Right Amount of Ingredients

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck with the project. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Rebecca0810

Post by Rebecca0810 »

Love the 2 one!!!!! And my daughter loved it too!!! Thank you so much!
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Post by RicaC »

Dear Rebecca and Rocio,

I am glad you and your daughter like the title!

RicaC
Rebecca0810

Post by Rebecca0810 »

We are working hard in this science project haha I have another question for you.

Which one could be a good question for the experiment?

Which bath bomb dissolves Faster?
Which bath bomb do more fizziness?
How the amount of filler (cornstarch) change (affects) the rate of reaction?
Which recipe (normal/extra cornstrach) make the most impressive reaction?

I think that we can have a lottt of questionssss for the project hehe

Thank you one again! You have been very helpful! :)
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Post by RicaC »

Dear Rebecca and Rocio,

I think that the third question in your list of questions is the best question for the project because it clearly states the independent variable and the dependent variable. However, I would say “affect the time to dissolve” rather than “change (affects) the rate of reaction” to make it clearer for whoever is judging or grading this project.

If any new questions arise, please let me know.

RicaC
Rebecca0810

Post by Rebecca0810 »

You are absolutely right!!! I agree with you!

But we can have 2 dependable variable in the questions? For example:

How does having more or less filler affect the time to dissolve and the fizziness of the bath bombs?
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Post by RicaC »

Dear Rebecca and Rocio,

According to "Bath Bomb Science" (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure), you needed to calculate the "average time to dissolve (in seconds) for each recipe". Since a dependent variable is what you measure in an experiment, I believe that time to dissolve is the dependent variable for this experiment. However, fizziness of the bath bombs could be included as observations in the project.

If you need clarifications, please let me know.

RicaC
Rebecca0810

Post by Rebecca0810 »

Rocio won second place!!!!!! Im so happy! And so proud!!! We couldn't do it without you!

Thank you so much!

How can I rate the kit? Or the science buddies page? Or you????

We had a lot of fun and learn a lot!!!!!!

Thank you once again!!!!
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Post by RicaC »

Dear Rebecca and Rocio,

Congratulations! That is an amazing accomplishment! I am glad that I was able to help both of you for this project.

In the "Bath Bomb Science" (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... background), there is a link to Home Science Tools to buy "Bath Bomb Science Kit". Is this the kit that was used for this project? If so, you can leave a review on the page by clicking on "WRITE A REVIEW" towards the bottom of the page.

It was a pleasure helping both of you for the project. As always, you can access "Ask an Expert" to get help with future science projects that your child may pursue.

RicaC

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”