Liquid density caused by sugar vs absorption/penetration

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

MacandLisa

Liquid density caused by sugar vs absorption/penetration

Post by MacandLisa »

Hi all.
So the subject probably sounds more in-depth than the answer I’m looking for?

We have just completed a science experiment dunking Oreos in different hot drinks to see how long it takes for the Oreo to break off (20 seconds etc)

My son had a hypothesis which is correct when looking at the results and that was that the hot chocolate with milk would take the longest to soften the Oreo so that it breaks in half - he based this on it being the drink with the highest sugar content so it would be a denser liquid and take longer to absorb/penetrate into the Oreo and soften it.
Is this correct ?
We tested without milk tea, coffee and hot chocolate vs with milk tea, coffee and hot chocolate.
Tea & Coffee behaved the same recording 15 seconds even with milk.
Hot chocolate took 20 seconds without milk and 25 seconds with milk. All drinks were 55 degrees Celsius.
Is the result because of the sugar content of the hot chocolate and milk?
Thanks !
charlesg
Expert

Re: Liquid density caused by sugar vs absorption/penetration

Post by charlesg »

Hi Macandlisa,

Sounds like a fun experiment! I loved Oreos as a kid, and I remember people talking about dunking into other drinks.

Your son's intuition is correct. The high sugar (and fat) content retain the moisture in the drink, as opposed to seeping into the cookie. The fat molecules are large and can also "obstruct" the milk from seeping into the cookie. An extreme test condition could use condensed milk, which is even more concentrated.

If you want further reading, take a look at the "The Longer Answer" section of this popular science article: http://mentalfloss.com/article/503191/o ... ng-science

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Best,
Charles

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”