How Temp Effects Elasticity of a Rubberband

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Tryingmybestatthis

How Temp Effects Elasticity of a Rubberband

Post by Tryingmybestatthis »

Hello,
I am interested in doing my Science Fair Project on how temperature effects the elasticity of a rubberband.
My teacher is requiring that we give an example of why the results would even be important in real life. I am thinking that since tires are made of rubber that the heat of the road or the cold climate would have an effect on the tires. I tried to look this up online but could not find anything to actually link the two things together. Could you help me confirm my thought and why?
I appreciate your help. I always try, but Science is not my best subject. :(
lilibaker
Former Student Expert

Re: How Temp Effects Elasticity of a Rubberband

Post by lilibaker »

Hello Tryingmybestatthis,

Your project idea sounds very interesting and it just so happens that Science Buddies has an experiment similar to this that has information regarding why temperature affects the elasticity of a rubber band. For your reference, I have attached the link to the project below:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... background

I think your real life example is very interesting and you may want to look at the background information section of the experiment linked above in order to understand why temperature has an effect on the elasticity of rubber.

If you have any questions, please reach out!

Hope this helped,
Lili

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”