QUESTION re: Building a Simple Motor Experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ChristiMonti

QUESTION re: Building a Simple Motor Experiment

Post by ChristiMonti »

While doing background research concerning the linked experiment below, I discovered that the three parts of a motor are the stator, the rotor, and the commutator. From what I gather, in this experiment, the permanent magnet is the stator and the temporary magnet, or electromagnet, is the rotor.

However, what I can't figure out is what plays the role of the commutator. From what I understand, the commutator reverses the magnet's polarity to make sure the axle continues to spin in one direction, so I'm assuming there must be one. Can you help me label the parts of the simple motor that function as the commutator?

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... or#summary

Thanks much for your help!

Christi

PS I'm hoping I may have answered my own question after reading the procedure more thoroughly...

Would I be correct that, in this experiment, there is no commutator? That, by only stripping half of the wire on the right side, the insulation interrupts the current half of the time (keeping it from being repelled in the other direction), and that the force of the motion keeps it moving forward until it gets another push from the current?

Moderator Notes: Christi, I merged your two questions ... so the experts will see that no one has replied!
And a question: are these questions in regard to a student doing a hands-on science project? That's what the Ask the Expert forum is here for! Thanks!
ChristiMonti

Re: QUESTION re: Building a Simple Motor Experiment

Post by ChristiMonti »

ChristiMonti wrote:While doing background research concerning the linked experiment below, I discovered that the three parts of a motor are the stator, the rotor, and the commutator. From what I gather, in this experiment, the permanent magnet is the stator and the temporary magnet, or electromagnet, is the rotor.

However, what I can't figure out is what plays the role of the commutator. From what I understand, the commutator reverses the magnet's polarity to make sure the axle continues to spin in one direction, so I'm assuming there must be one. Can you help me label the parts of the simple motor that function as the commutator?

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... or#summary

Thanks much for your help!

Christi

PS I'm hoping I may have answered my own question after reading the procedure more thoroughly...

Would I be correct that, in this experiment, there is no commutator? That, by only stripping half of the wire on the right side, the insulation interrupts the current half of the time (keeping it from being repelled in the other direction), and that the force of the motion keeps it moving forward until it gets another push from the current?

Moderator Notes: Christi, I merged your two questions ... so the experts will see that no one has replied!
And a question: are these questions in regard to a student doing a hands-on science project? That's what the Ask the Expert forum is here for! Thanks!
Yes! This is for my son's science fair project. :)
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

Hi Christi - sorry you never got a reply to this, I hope it is not too late. Your answer to your own question is correct! In a more complex motor, the commutator would make sure that current is flowing in the same direction through the motor's entire rotation. In this motor, we simply don't have any current flowing for half of the rotation, but there is enough momentum that it keeps spinning until it gets through the next half-rotation.
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by rmarz »

ChristiMonti - You are correct in understanding that half the insulated wire being 'scraped' to conduct electricity is, in fact, the commutator. Most DC motors will have many commutating connections in contact with the brushes to provide smooth, efficient rotation. Many years ago as a Science Buddies Expert I quickly assembled the motor from the experiment to show the operation. Here is a link to that video.

Rick Marz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T5Nfi6N96Q

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”