Recording on a wire- science project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

44daf150e10a4e93930aa07be28e31a7

Recording on a wire- science project

Post by 44daf150e10a4e93930aa07be28e31a7 »

We have followed all of the instructions accordingly for the recording on a wire project. We have even got the precise amplifier, recording wire, and ferrite core used in the instructions. We also wrapped the magnetic wire around the ferrite core 200, 250, and 300 times. However we are still only getting static when we try to record. We have tried many different microphone methods. The only things we can figure may be wrong with the project is our ferrite core does have a blue coating around it (though it is the precise model suggested in the instructions) and also the voltage we are receiving from the ferrit core (when it is plugged into the amplifier) is less than 1 voltage. Are these the problems with it? If so, should we shave down the ferrite core so that the coating is no longer on it? Also, can anyone suggest a way to raise the voltage when the ferrite core is connected, and what is the minimum voltage that should be coming from the ferrite core? If these are not issues, does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with the project?
bvionis
Student Expert

Re: Recording on a wire- science project

Post by bvionis »

Hello,

After reading through the experimental procedure for this project, I noticed that there are several important wire connections that must be made, including between the magnet wire (wrapped around the ferrite core) and amplifier output, between the microphone and amplifier input, and between the ends of the recording wire. One of these connections may be faulty, preventing the flow of current. To check this, you should be able to use a multimeter and check the resistance at the connections.

Another thing you could try if that is not the issue is further experimenting with the amplifier's volume controls to see if the input signal strength needs adjusting (which may help increase the output voltage if that is a concern). Additionally, changing the speed of the wheels may help. Perhaps a more sensitive microphone needs to be used.

I do not believe the blue epoxy coating on the ferrite core would cause any problems, as many toroidal ferrite cores like the ones in this project appear to have such a coating, and the core listed in the Materials section of this project is coated as well.

If you have any other questions regarding my answer or the project in general, please let me know and I will do my best to further help.
44daf150e10a4e93930aa07be28e31a7

Re: Recording on a wire- science project

Post by 44daf150e10a4e93930aa07be28e31a7 »

Thank you for your suggestions we have been using them and they seem you be working. We have not been able to record any words but we are able to record an unclear sound. Thank you again for your help.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”