Question about Is it Getting Hot in Here? Investigate the Greenhouse Effect activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AaravV

Question about Is it Getting Hot in Here? Investigate the Greenhouse Effect activity

Post by AaravV »

Hello,

Because of the winter condition in Canada (where I live), I will not be able to perform this experiment under the sunlight. Hence, can I simulate the sun using a floodlight to do this experiment?

Thanks,
Aarav

-------------------------------------
Leave this to help the Experts:
The activity can be viewed at: Is it Getting Hot in Here? Investigate the Greenhouse Effect
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question about Is it Getting Hot in Here? Investigate the Greenhouse Effect activity

Post by bfinio »

Hi - in general you can do projects like this with a high-wattage incandescent bulb, heat lamp, grow light, etc. Just avoid using a CFL or LED bulb as they do not get as hot and don't provide as much full-spectrum light.
AaravV

Re: Question about Is it Getting Hot in Here? Investigate the Greenhouse Effect activity

Post by AaravV »

Thank you so much!! This helped a lot!

Thanks,
Aarav
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

Hi - just to clarify, were you concerned that it's too cold to do this outside? Or do you not have enough sunlight/are you worried the experiment would get covered in snow? (asking because it should still work on a cold, sunny day if that was your concern)

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”