Help with a Science Fair Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Michael
Project Question: The effect of pressure on the
structure and density of liquid water: a computational study
Project Due Date: Febuary 2011
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

SCIENCE PROJECT RESULTS

Post by Michael »

Hi Louise and Chris.

I just wanted to let you know that I finally got to present my project. My teacher and classmates were amazed. My display board was really awesome, but more importantly, they felt they learned alot from listening to my oral presentation. I got to present again in front of other judges in my school and have been selected to compete against other schools.

I'm very excited and wanted to thank you again. I couldn't have done it without your help.

I will let you know how I make out.

MICHAEL
Louise
Former Expert

Re: SCIENCE PROJECT RESULTS

Post by Louise »

Michael wrote:Hi Louise and Chris.

I just wanted to let you know that I finally got to present my project. My teacher and classmates were amazed. My display board was really awesome, but more importantly, they felt they learned alot from listening to my oral presentation. I got to present again in front of other judges in my school and have been selected to compete against other schools.

I'm very excited and wanted to thank you again. I couldn't have done it without your help.

I will let you know how I make out.

MICHAEL
Michael,
I'm glad your presentation to the class went so well! Good luck with next science fair!

Louise
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help with a Science Fair Project

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

I'm glad it was well received. You were doing quite advanced materials science for your age group (phase changes in composite materials, demonstrated visually) and also presented it in a way that everybody could relate to, showing the forces involved with expansion in a quite dramatic way.

The usual way this sort of thing is taught is with the iron/carbon phase diagrams (used for steel and cast iron variations) but after seeing this I wonder if my instructors in college and high school missed an opportunity. Salt and water are possible to do safely without needing a forge etc and the changes are visible to the naked eye. Steel is of course a very important material to learn about, and water has some oddities about how it behaves compared to most materials but still....what you did could be taught with nothing more than a freezer required and demonstrates a lot of things about how materials behave as they go from liquid to solid and the reverse, and how we get different structural materials from the same elements by heat treating them differently.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help with a Science Fair Project

Post by ChrisG »

Michael,
Congratulations! I'm glad that it went so well.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”