elemental makeup of saltwater

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

scotta740

elemental makeup of saltwater

Post by scotta740 »

I need to know the elemental makeup of saltwater VERY soon!!
Scott A.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Hello,
Welcome to Science Buddies. Your best bet for a general question like that is to use a web search. Try typing "sea water composition" or similar terms into your favorite search engine. If you have more specific questions about how to do an internet search, or about your science fair project, please feel free to ask.

Good luck!
jimb740

it depends

Post by jimb740 »

Scott I checked "seawater" on acessscience. the second hit(seawater elements geochemical distribution) said the compound varies. however there is a link on that page you might be able to make sense out of (the link is "seawater").
JIM B.
elin105
Former Expert

Post by elin105 »

Hi Scott!
I need to know the elemental makeup of saltwater VERY soon!!
This is a very interesting topic! How are you planning on making the seawater solution? For example, if you mix distilled water with salt, you will get different results than if you use seawater that has minerals in it.

Elisa L.
zzzzdoc
Former Expert

Post by zzzzdoc »

If you can't find the information online, go to you local marine fish store. Look at the ingredients in Instant Ocean, or Tropic Marin (or a number of other) salt water mixes for aquariums. You will need to take into account the dilution with water to get the actual concentration (the bags are labelled with how much water they need to be diluted with), but when done, they closely approximate sea water concentrations.

Perhaps their web sites have the same information.
Alan Lichtenstein, MD
Anesthesiologist

Mens et manus
Veritas

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
scotta740

Post by scotta740 »

very true :)
Scott A.
tbnm815
Former Expert

Post by tbnm815 »

Saltwater is considered saline water, which is a general term for water that contains a significant concentration of dissolved salts (NaCl.)

Hope I helped!
Nick
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

The textbook An Introduction to the World's Oceans contains an entire chapter discussing the composition of seawater. An outline of the chapter is available here: http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/d ... apter6.pdf. The text's homepage is here: http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0 ... ent_view0/.
All the best,
Terik
qianpeiw740

Post by qianpeiw740 »

I'm also doing a project on seawater! The chemical makeup depends but usually has sodium chloride, potassium bromide, calcium, magnesium etc in it
QianPei W

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”