Research Help! Permanent Marker Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jlpollard

Research Help! Permanent Marker Project

Post by jlpollard »

I have chosen the science fair project "How permanent are permanent markers? What solvents (e.g., water, alcohol, vinegar, detergent solution) will remove the ink? Do different brands/types of markers produce the same results?" I am having a very difficult time finding research for my paper. In fact, most of what I am finding is about stain removal. Does anyone have an idea of a good place to start looking? Thank you so much for your time!
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by staryl13 »

"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

The prior poster had the right idea. Look for sites online where cleaning tips are provided for ideas.

If they suggest household cleaners (eg, Window Cleaner), go to the supermarket and read the ingredients label. Most of these have only a few basic ingredients (bleach, alchohol, ammonia, a few others)

Those would be good candidates. Be aware however that many cleansers are dangerous in high concentrations (they can burn you, or emit toxic fumes) and especially in combination. (combining bleach and ammonia can get chlorine gas...don't mix your cleansers...and stick to small quantities)

You might also want to talk to anyone you know who has done stain removal for a long time. Your parents, grandparents, anyone who has worked as a maid, etc. The internet is fine, but real life can turn up some really interesting ideas. (when to use cold water vs hot water, as an example)

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”