Creating Multiple Solutions - PLEASE RESPOND

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mrbriank

Creating Multiple Solutions - PLEASE RESPOND

Post by mrbriank »

MY DUE DATE IS APPROACHING FAST - PLEASE RESPOND
My science fair project is creating a video game for the blind. I am really stuck on the 4th step which is Create Alternative Solutions. I have read all the pages you suggest to read on your website about this, and am still having trouble. The project is pretty straight forward and the program I am using (Game Maker Lite) has the game pretty much as it is and doesn't offer any alternate solutions. Because of the limitations of the game design program I am using, I don't understand how to answer this part of the process. If you could offer some help, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Creating Multiple Solutions - PLEASE RESPOND

Post by amyc »

You made certain choices in developing the game to make it a game that will work for someone who is blind. But these are not the "only" choices she could have made. What other approaches to the game features could she have taken?

What kinds of choices did you make (or what features did you add) as part of the project in an effort to make the game playable by someone who is blind?

Step 7 in the "Planning Your Game in GameMaker" section contains a number of considerations for the game you create.

How could you do things differently?

Amy
Science Buddies
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Creating Multiple Solutions - PLEASE RESPOND

Post by amyc »

Have you also reviewed this document, which is linked from the project?

Brainstorm Multiple Solutions
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/engineer ... ions.shtml

It may help. The important thing to keep in mind is that there is not only one way to do something -- not only one way to design a game. Thinking of ways you could do it differently and evaluating the options is part of the engineering design process.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”