Heart Rate Tracking

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

SUGAR_KING

Heart Rate Tracking

Post by SUGAR_KING »

Hi, I'm in 8th grade, and I am doing a science fair project where I put people through a scary Virtual Reality game. I track their heart rate during it, but I don't know what tracker to use... I found a software called golden cheetah which I think would work. Please help :D
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Heart Rate Tracking

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi SUGAR_KING,
This sounds like an it could be an interesting experiment setup. Can you give us a little more detail please? Are you trying to measure specific elements within the VR game / what hypothesis are you trying to prove please? With this info, we may be able to give you better suggestions with regards to the hardware / software setup.

The following is a pretty typical setup for tracking the heart rate (I am assuming you are using a PC):
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/ho ... ant.35997/

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.
Good Luck!
Willey
SUGAR_KING

Post by SUGAR_KING »

Thx for the help... I am going to be using an oculus rift, and they are going to be playing Affected the Manor. I am trying to see when heart rate fluctuates during the game. Like is there a build up or does it only spike during a jump scare. As long as by the end of the experiment I can get some sort of graph or timeline, it will work. My budget is $80 to get the game and sensor so if there is a way to keep the price for the sensor under $70 including the dongle that would be nice.

Thx
Aaron :D
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi SUGAR_KING,
I did a quick search on the components on the site and they look like it should fit within your budget.
Just using a quick google search, it seems that the Mio link Heart Rate Monitor wrist band can be had for $40 (from REI) and the USB receiver (Newegg) is about $28.

Good Luck!
Willey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”