Golden rules of photography

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Heather3907

Golden rules of photography

Post by Heather3907 »

My son REALLY wants to do this for his science fair project. But he has to be able to ‘change only one factor (variable) at a time.’ What would be the changeable variable in this project? Thanks!
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Golden rules of photography

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello, and welcome to Science Buddies. Photography is a great project, and it will be fun to look through a lot of photographs!

What you're asking about (one variable at a time) is critical when looking at multiple variables. You only want to change one variable at a time to see the effects that variable has on your outcome. In this project, you are looking at a single variable: composition. However, hopefully by viewing a lot of photographs, you'll be looking at different composition placements, as categorized in the table in the procedure section.

If the teacher is requiring a project that allows you to change one variable at a time, then I recommend finding a different project. I recommend your son talking about this with his teacher, especially if he's very enthusiastic about this project. If he can demonstrate that he understands why it's important to only change one factor at a time, but this isn't relevant for this project, perhaps the teacher will allow him to continue.

If the teacher still insists a project with multiple variables, there are numerous projects your son could do within photography. An easy one would be to see how shutter speed, ISO, and aperture affect exposure. You don't need a fancy camera to do this. Most smart phones, now, allow you to adjust these settings.

I hope this helps. Be sure to write back if you have questions. Good luck!
Heather3907

Re: Golden rules of photography

Post by Heather3907 »

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”