Fractals

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

alpinetiger

Fractals

Post by alpinetiger »

Hey. I am looking for a good science fair project on fractals. I have the Fractint program. This project needs independent and dependent variables, a control, and constants. :(. I am in the 8th grade and I have a good understanding of algebra and a pretty good understanding of computers. Could you help me?
alpinetiger

fractals

Post by alpinetiger »

Um......I was thinking about doing how changing the params in the Julia set affects the self similarity of a certain coordinate but I don't think there is any way to measure self similarity. Someone please help.
alpinetiger

Help!

Post by alpinetiger »

I need help. I need to know whether you can measure self similiraty, preferably on Fractint. Or whether I can do an experiment where you measure the calculation time in video mode from changing the variables. The only problem with that is I have Fractint for Windows and I can't find the video mode. Help!
alpinetiger

Once again help.

Post by alpinetiger »

I decided to do something on how changing the imaginary and real parameters of C affect the iterations of a fixed area in the Julia Set. Are there always real and imaginary parameters of C? Or is it just Fractint?
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Once again help.

Post by Louise »

alpinetiger wrote:I decided to do something on how changing the imaginary and real parameters of C affect the iterations of a fixed area in the Julia Set. Are there always real and imaginary parameters of C? Or is it just Fractint?
hi aplinetiger,
I'm sorry no one has replied to you get, but an expert in fractals hasn't been around yet. Hopefully someone will help you soon. I am not an expert in this area, but I will try to help!

My understanding is that C is a complex number, so you should have both a real and imaginary parameter. I found a very interesting article about Julia Sets at:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/JuliaSet.html

You might also want to look at:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home

and the links contained within.

I would also check with your teacher and make sure this project is okay. Some teachers do not allow math or computer science projects for the science fair. I think your project seems good, you have a responding variable (area) and an independent variable (c). Do you have a hypothesis for how changing c will change the area?

Good luck with your project!
Louise
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Julia set fractals using only 8th grade math is going to be a major stretch (more appropriate for somebody with at least some pre-calculus). I'm not saying you can't learn what you need to, but there is going to be a LOT to learn.

Do you understand what complex numbers are?
Do you understand what time series are?
Have you been exposed to any analytical geometry?
Have you been exposed to any trigonometry?
Have you been exposed to any pre-calculus?
Have you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_set and are there things that you don't understand?
Have you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal and do you understand the meaning of Escape-time and the underlying recurrence relationships?

Calculations for self-simularity on Julia sets will require some serious numerical analysis computer programming.

Working with one of the iterated function systems wouldn't be as big a stretch for an advanced 8th grade math student as they aren't complex functions of time so they don't require calculus knowledge for comprehension.

Note: It has been a VERY long time since I did anything with fractals (programming some finite element analysis speedups for dynamic modeling for some college professors) so I'm not your expert either.
-Craig
alpinetiger

Thanks

Post by alpinetiger »

Thanks a lot! That helps.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”