Bad Grade on Science Fair Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

MBW
Project Question: I completed my science fair project on using right angles (an inclinometer). It was a great project, and I thoroughly enjoyed and learned during this project. I received a poor grade, and the reason I was given was that the project was a demonstration, not a science project. I wondered if this is correct. Could you please give me some feedback, possiblly support information? Thanks for any help!
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Bad Grade on Science Fair Project

Post by MBW »

Hello -

I did a science fair project on right angles (measuring height with an inclinometer). I received a poor grade -- the reason was stated that this was not considered a science fair project, but a demonstration. I thoroughly enjoyed this project, and learned a great deal about measuring height. Could you please confirm/not confirm that measuring height is an acceptable science fair project? Thanks for your website and for any help you may offer!!!
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Bad Grade on Science Fair Project

Post by ChrisG »

Hi MBW,
Welcome to the Ask an Expert forum. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the project and learned from the experience. A science project should use the scientific method, which involves testing a hypothesis. If your project did not have a hypothesis, that may explain why it was considered a demonstration rather than a science project.
You can find more information about the scientific method here:
http://www.sciencebuddies.com/science-f ... thod.shtml

If you feel your project was misunderstood, it might be worth appealing the grade. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Chris

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”