Science Fair Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Victor Gray
Project Question: ??
Project Due Date: 9/29
Project Status: I am just starting

Science Fair Help

Post by Victor Gray »

I want to do somwthing with math any recommondations :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :!:
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Science Fair Help

Post by dcnick96 »

Hi Victor. Welcome to the forum! A great place to start is the Science Fair Project Ideas on this website. There is a Math and Computer Science section with lots of exciting projects. I would recommend starting there.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... deas.shtml

If you are still stuck or need help narrowing down your project, certainly let us know. Good luck!

Deana
Deana
Victor Gray

Post by Victor Gray »

I Still Can't Find Anything I Like Any Other Suggestions :shock:
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Well, first thing you will need to do is try and limit your interest area you wish to study, as math is everywhere!

You must start with this question.
What do you like to do? Do you you enjoy sports, exploring the outdoors, building things, working on the computer, studying the environment, ???

Did you try the topic survey? After answering some yes / no questions about what you like to do, and I believe it is the best way to find topics that fit your interests.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... gister.php

You can also try googling with search topics such as "science fair project ideas math sports."

Since math is everywhere, it is a good idea to narrow the project idea options to areas that you enjoy studying, so that you enjoy your project. Give the topic survey a shot and / or spend a few minutes doing a google search. If you haven't found a topic that peaks your interest, write back with 5 top topic ideas from the topic survey and google search that you might be interested in (or at least interested in that area of study, such as computers or sports), and we'll go from there.

Good luck!
Deana
hhemken
Former Expert

Post by hhemken »

Victor,

What are your hobbies? What are the 5 coolest things you have seen in the last 6 months? What are the 5 science, technology, or mathematical news reports that have most stuck in your mind in the last year? These sorts of questions might help you find a topic that will interest you.

Remember, keep it simple and doable, but make sure you are passionate enough about it that you will see it through to the end. Are you interested in writing a computer program that does something interesting? Build some kind of device?
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum
Victor Gray

Post by Victor Gray »

Well Computers Sounds Interesting
hhemken
Former Expert

Post by hhemken »

Victor,

You need to 1) be more specific, and 2) make a list of things. These things will help you narrow down to more specific project ideas.

If you like computers, what do you like? Hardware? Software? Playing around with the operating system? Writing programs? Writing web pages or applications? Attaching devices to them and operating them through programs? Designing things? Making music or videos? Modeling things? Sifting through data looking for patterns?

The list is long!
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Victor Gray

Post by Victor Gray »

Sorry for replying so late i've been busy but i like making music videos and hardware
hhemken
Former Expert

Post by hhemken »

Music video production would only work if you can make some kind of an engineering project out of it, I think.

What do you mean by hardware? Do you build electronic circuits? Have you ever built any devices that you attach to a computer to read/write data from?

How about this sort of thing:
http://www.makershed.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=43
[no longer available link removed]

How much time do you have left to decide, and when would the project be due?
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Victor Gray

Post by Victor Gray »

Yes i like to build electronic circuits and i've never seen what you showed me. I saw the 1st link before but i've never seen the 2nd link. :shock: My project is due of January 2011
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Victor. Okay, let's stick with electronics. Unfortunately, that is still a VERY broad topic. You could examine radios, TVs, radar, robots, optics....the list goes on! You still need to narrow down your focus area / interest. Do any of the areas I mention sound interesting? Check out the below website, they have dozens of topic ideas related to electronics.
[link removed; site no longer available]

Be sure to browse through these. There has to be something here to peak your interest. Notice a lot of the links bring you right back to the Science Buddies Project Ideas page! Did you complete the topic wizard? What did you find?

If your project is due in January, you cannot afford to spend much more time deciding on a topic. When browsing these projects, be sure to look at time required to complete the project. You must give yourself enough time to research, conduct the experiment, and write your conclusions.

Deana
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”