Detoxification of Mercury

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

science1718

Detoxification of Mercury

Post by science1718 »

Hi,

I am doing a project on mixing algae and mercury to see if the algae has any effect on the detox of mercury. I was wondering, if it does, how would I separately remove the mercury to see how much is left? Would there be a specific tool or instrument I could use?

Thanks for your help!
SFsciguy1994
Expert

Re: Detoxification of Mercury

Post by SFsciguy1994 »

Hello! Your project certainly sounds like an interesting one. Apologies for the late response!

May I ask if it been approved by a teacher or advisor? Working with mercury can be highly dangerous, and requires special equipment like a fume hood and personal protective gear. Before continuing with your experiment, I would advise you to check out this safety and handling data sheet from Fisher - https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/96252.htm. Please make sure that you can protect yourself properly before handling the substance, if you must handle it at all. Supervision from someone familiar with mercury handling and disposal is also strongly advised.

In industry, mercury is typically extracted by distillation - this involves heating the element into vapor. But without the proper equipment, training, and supervision, this is not a safe method to use. Filtration or physical removal is also possible, but the best removal method would be dependent on the amount of mercury you'd be using, and what you are extracting it from. Could you please provide more details on the experimental setup?

Please be safe!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”