Measuring plant growth

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

juliaaaxjuul

Measuring plant growth

Post by juliaaaxjuul »

Hey everyone!
I'm doing this experiment on bean plants with antibiotics and I have some trouble with my results. I read about how to measure plant growth on this site, however I don't really understand what to conclude out of the number of leaves that I have counted. It said that it indicated the physiological age?? But how?
Can someone please explain this to me :?
ajcourtney
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteering
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Measuring plant growth

Post by ajcourtney »

Hello there!
Welcome to Science Buddies!
I think it tells you about the physiological age because as plants grow taller they continue to produce more leaves. I would assume that the more leaves on the plant the older it is. However, I am not a plant biologist, plant experts feel free to jump in here!

Hope this helps some. Good luck on your science fair project and let us know if we can help any further :D
-AJ
-------------------------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Measuring plant growth

Post by SciB »

Hi Julia,
The 'physiological' age of a plant is not the same as its actual age. Plants go through stages of growth kinda like people. When young they grow fast and make lots of leaves but later they may put their energy into flowers or fruit and stop making leaves. Counting leaves is only one way of measuring a plant's growth. If you read the Scibuddies guide on plant growth there are several other ways to measure plant growth. You should always do more than one method to confirm your results. If you have questions about how to do the measurements post again and we will be happy to help.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”