Plead For Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

ayurmide14

Plead For Help

Post by ayurmide14 »

Hi,
This is my first time doing a science fair i got some ideas but they sound kinda dumb :( :cry: :idea: . I was wondering if you could help.
These are my ideas so far:
1). Can vegetable power be used to charge a phone ?
2). Can bio molecules be found in each other ? for example can protein be found in carbohydrate ?
3). About hurricane Harvey how can the flood water be drained faster?. i thought of building a machine that can suck up large amount of water, purify it and turn it into vapor.
4). Why does illness cause a bitter taste in the mouth and is there a solution to it ?
5). Where do plants store glucose ?
Please i need you to help me develop these ideas and suggest more i would be very happy :D . Thank you .
catherineM99
Former Expert

Re: Plead For Help

Post by catherineM99 »

Hi,

These are great ideas! How long do you have to complete your experiment? I found an experiment on the science buddies website that takes about 2 weeks which you could use for your first idea: “Potato Battery: How to Turn Produce into Veggie Power!”, where you basically turn a potato into a battery by connecting it to electrodes and a multimeter. For your second idea, I think it is more of a scientific question than an experiment. But to answer it, some of the elements in protein, including carbon and hydrogen, are the same elements found in carbohydrates. Phospholipids are fats that have elements found in proteins (phosphorus), and glycoproteins are proteins that have carbohydrate groups attached to the polypeptide chain. The same goes with your 5th idea, you could simply google the answer to find out where plants store glucose, so you would have to adjust the question to make it more testable for an experiment, e.g. “Do plants store different amounts of glucose at different times of the year?”. For your fourth idea, it might be a little hard to test, since a bitter/bad taste in your mouth can be caused by a variety of factors other than illness, such as poor dental health. Your third idea is really interesting, and you could simplify it by testing which types of common flood water draining techniques are most efficient.

Hope this helps!

~Catherine M.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MadelineB »

In addition to the excellent suggestions by the expert Catherine M, you might also look at the Science Buddies project database. There are over 1100 science projects there, with each project providing the background and references, materials and procedures.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/search?v=pi

You can search this database for projects similar to your various ideas and see which ones seem most interesting to you.

Be sure to look at the Science buddies project guide for ideas for how to set up your project, once you've found one that you like best.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ience-fair

Be sure to let us know if you have more questions about setting up your chosen project!
ayurmide14

Post by ayurmide14 »

Thank you very much that was so helpful :D .
i had an extra idea: can a non athletic mathematician be better at a sport than someone who is more athletic by calculating his every move?
About the flood draining systems can you give some examples of the common flood draining systems ?
Can i also know the materials i need to create each of my projects ?
I'm not sure when the science fair topics are due and I'm in 9th grade.
I also want to know if my ideas are not to basic i don't think my teacher will approve something too basic.
Thank you very much. :D :)
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MadelineB »

Hello again,
The projects in the Science Buddies database include specific lists of the materials needed, including where to get the materials. Furthermore, each project shows the level of difficulty and the recommended grade level.

Since you are worried that your teacher will think the projects you've selected are too basic, perhaps you might want to select projects which are recommended for the 10th grade or higher! Also, if you do the research suggested in the project summary and background, that will help to demonstrate to your teacher that you are taking the project seriously.

Here's the link again:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/search?v=pi

Let us know which project you've selected and if you have more questions about it.
ayurmide14

Post by ayurmide14 »

I chose the project : How to drain flood water faster
My teacher told me that he observed that the drains are blocked by dirt thereby preventing the flood water from draining. so i want to redesign a new drainage system that can't be clogged up by dirt.
catherineM99
Former Expert

Post by catherineM99 »

Hi Ayurmide14,

I’m happy you decided on a project idea! Perhaps to make a flood drainage system that minimizes soil infiltration, you could research various surfaces which are only permeable to water- such surfaces would be polar. Other ideas for a flood drainage system that reduces soil clogging is a design with a “moat”, which catches soil before the water enters. Other factors to consider in improving drainage systems are permeable paving, increasing the drainage capacity of the system, constructing pumping stations, and building flood diversion culverts. You may want to test a variety of stormwater systems used in homes and determine which one is the most effective, and then analyze factors that make it more effective. Based on this information, you could try to redesign your own stormwater system.

Hope this helps!
~Catherine M.
ayurmide14

Post by ayurmide14 »

thank you. i am done with my background research. i need to start on my experiment i have never done this before what should i do? science fair topic: How to drain flood water faster.
ayurmide14

Post by ayurmide14 »

How do i start rhe experiment and test the drainages? What materials do i need ? :cry: :x i am stressed and confused. Please help!!
ayurmide14

Post by ayurmide14 »

Please someone reply i have few days i am stressed i do not know what to do
catherineM99
Former Expert

Post by catherineM99 »

Hello again!
Since you only have a few days left, I would suggest simplifying your experiment. You could do a simple permeability test of various materials, such as sand, gravel, silt, and clay. Using water and 2 cups (one with a hole, and one without), you could put the material in the cup, pour the water over it, and see how much water comes out. You could divide that by how much water there was originally and determine porosity. I found an experiment on science buddies on the effectiveness of storm drains. It’s titled “Do Your Storm Drains Keep the Ocean Trash Free?”. https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure. It’s pretty simple: you just make a model replica of a storm drain in your community and see if it can keep plastic out of the drain.
Hope these ideas help!
~Catherine M.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”