How to measure telomere length using Southern blot?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

celinaashby

How to measure telomere length using Southern blot?

Post by celinaashby »

Hi all,

It's as the title says - how would I Southern blot to find telomere lengths in the most efficient way possible without it being too costly? I am planning to use yeast cells.

Celina
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How to measure telomere length using Southern blot?

Post by SciB »

Hi Celina,

Unless you have access to a lab that has equipment to run restriction enzyme-digested DNA fragments on agarose gels, transfer them to blotting membrane, hybridize the blots with telomere-specific probes and visualize the DNA bands by some method, you would not be able to use Southern blotting to determine telomere length. All the methods I am familiar with require fairly expensive equipment and reagents and specialized training to do the procedure.

Are you working in a lab that is set up to do Southern blots? Do you have a tech to help you do the experiments?

Let me know a little more about your situation and I will be better able to help.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”