cat114

Diabetes and Alpha Amylase

Postby cat114 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:43 am

Hello,
I was looking to test the effect of herbs on lower diabetes or decreasing the chances of diabetes. I was reading through a similar project using alpha amylase to test this, but the procedure was very difficult for me to understand. Do you have any info on the relationship between alpha amylase and diabetes

catherineM99
Student Expert

Re: Diabetes and Alpha Amylase

Postby catherineM99 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi cat114!

This sounds like an exciting experiment! Herbs are used to treat diabetes through phytotherapeutics, where the amylase is inhibited. Amylase or the breaks down oligosaccharides into simple sugars, which are then absorbed by the bloodstream. I found an experiment that investigates the effectiveness of different plant material in inhibiting amylase activity. The procedure was to dissolve the plant material in buffer, extract it at room temperature in buffer, then extract it boiling either in water or through a buffer. Some plants used were Acarbose, Bilberry, and Tamarind. Here’s the link to the full experiment: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... 6000100002

Good luck!
~Catherine M.

cat114

Re: Diabetes and Alpha Amylase

Postby cat114 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:29 am

Hello Ms. Catherine M.

Thank You for the link! This give me great insight into what I want to do. However, I was confused by certain aspects of the procedure. For example, why was the plant material dissolved in a buffer and how is this related to the alpha amylase inhibition. I am very passionate about this topic, and any help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Cat114

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”