Creating a Kidney

Postby 720872 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 am

Hi,
I am at the part of the Creating a Kidney project that requires you to use the Amazonia database. I am able to get on the actual website, but once I type in an integrin subunit, the website completely freezes. I was wondering is there was another database I could use instead of Amazonia (I am doing this project with a liver, not a kidney if that affects anything). Edit: Now when I go onto the website a box pops up saying "Sorry, an error occured," and it won't give me any other information.

SciB
Former Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher

Re: Creating a Kidney

Postby SciB » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the problem in using Amazonia. I just went to the site (http://amazonia.transcriptome.eu/) and had the same trouble as you did--typed in 'integrin' and nothing happened, then got ERROR HAS OCCURRED message.

The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) has a free online tool for microarray studies called Gene Expression Omnibus or GEO (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/) that you should be able to use to get the data you need to complete your project. It doesn't matter for the database what you choose as the target organ. Liver is ok but you will have to find publications specifically about the liver and choose the cells and protein factors specific for that organ.

Give GEO a try and if you have a problem using it let us know and we'll try to get you back on track.

Good luck!

Sybee

Postby 720872 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:12 am

I tried to use that database and found a publication specifically about the liver. The publication said the expression was 138. I looked for another publication to verify the data, but that one said that the expression was 29. I made sure that they were both about humans, which they were. Can you help?

SciB
Former Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher

Postby SciB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm confused. What do you mean by "...the expression was 138" ?
To what does that number refer?

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”