Paternal DNA Testing with no Y Chromosome

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

kabohner

Paternal DNA Testing with no Y Chromosome

Post by kabohner »

I apologize if this is the incorrect place to post this question, but how could a woman trace her DNA back to Africa on her father's side without a male family members DNA? I was told only men can trace the paternal line because women don't have a Y chromosome. I am a woman and have been told my mother is Irish, Scottish, and German. My father was Black and died when I was a child. Based on his last name, my best guess is that someone on his side was a slave owned by a Dutch slave master in the Southern United States. When I looked into what countries the Black slaves owned by the Dutch came from, there were several countries. I have asked family members what "type" of Black he was (ie. Haitian, Barbadian, Jamaican, etc.) but was just told "regular" Black lol. Maybe an acceptable answer to some, but not myself. I would like to know specifically what nationalities I am. Which would be the best/most comprehensive personal DNA test I could take to find out exactly what I am?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Paternal DNA Testing with no Y Chromosome

Post by SciB »

You have posed a very interesting and potentially useful question--but this forum is specifically for helping students with school science projects.

I don't know how you would trace your patrilineal line. Some of your DNA undoubtedly came from your father's chromosomes (not Y, of course) but I don't know how you would identify it and its origin. There are several companies such as 23&Me that sequence parts of your DNA and give you a report on what they find. I would call them and explain your situation and ask them if their sequence information would be helpful in determining your father's nationality.

Do more searching online. There may be some databases that focus on finding matches for DNA from people like you trying to identify a parent of a particular ethnicity or country of origin. Be persistent. This may take you a long time, but it will be worth it. There's a story out there about your father and it's up to you to discover what you can about him.

Good luck!

Sybee
kabohner

Post by kabohner »

Thanks for the response, I'll keep looking.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SciB »

Wishing you all the best success in your quest. There are many good genealogy and DNA database sites on he web, so keep looking and you will find help.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”