Working in a Lab

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

lll123

Working in a Lab

Post by lll123 »

Hi,

I have found a lab that I will be working in this summer, but I would be assisting with research and I will likely not be conducting my own. How do I make this into a science fair project? Would it be possible to ask to do something other than what they are doing?

Thanks,
Lily
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Working in a Lab

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Lily,
Working in the lab is a great way to learn the research methods as well as to get to know the lab researchers. While you are doing their research, you will have the opportunity to expand their ideas and identify a specific area that interests you and that is feasible for you to do as an independent project.

Here's a link to an article in the Science Buddies Project Guide. This and other articles there might help you develop your own strategies for taking advantage of your contacts in the lab.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ce-project

Be sure to let us know how things work out!
Best of luck!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”