Variations in Data

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Comet02LTIN
Project Question: Biology
Project Due Date: April 19th
Project Status: I am just starting

Variations in Data

Post by Comet02LTIN »

Hello. Our team completed the Yeasty Beasties project and we saw some pretty large variations and some areas where no change occured at all in terms of CO2 released and water displaced. Are these outcomes to be expected to varry wildly or should they stay relatively the same?
KatieC
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Variations in Data

Post by KatieC »

Question for you? Were the variations you were seeing between bottles that were set up with the same conditions or different conditions? If they are the same...for example same amount of sugar, water and yeast...then that is not good and there might be another variable in your experiment that is impacting the outcome. If the conditions are different such as one bottle had sugar and the other did not, then that is your real data and should show you how the yeast is acting differently depending on the environment it is in.

Hope that helps!
Katie
Comet02LTIN
Project Question: Biology
Project Due Date: April 19th
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by Comet02LTIN »

Hi Katie, thanks for answering. The variations took place between two balloons that had sugar in them. In one, the water displaced was 50mL, but the second displaced 350mL. Could this be due to the fact that one of the experiments took place in an attic and the other was conducted in an oven that was off?
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi, The bottles with just yeast and sugar in them should have a displacement around 50ml. I think the 350 is very high - could you have contaminated the second trial with some salt? the salt plus yeast plus sugar one should be higher displacement like 350.

Could the difference be because of the location change? Seems pretty drastic - so I don't think so. Can you repeat it?

Tonya :)

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”