Bacteria Transformation Efficiency

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

arnlan
Project Question: I have completed the Bacterial Transformation Efficiency Project. I have advanced to the STATE Scence Fair.
Project Due Date: Completed
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Bacteria Transformation Efficiency

Post by arnlan »

Thanks!

In DaY one of the procedures it says rehydrate bacteria, what does that necessarily mean?

To clear something up, the youtube video is not exactly what i will be doing correct?
+-+-+-+-+-
Best,
-Arnlan
arnlan
Project Question: I have completed the Bacterial Transformation Efficiency Project. I have advanced to the STATE Scence Fair.

Post by arnlan »

I have also changed up my purpose, is this better than the previous one? :

The main purpose of this project is to synthesize proteins in a cheaper way, by doing it in the most efficient and cost-effective way, so it is important to know how the amount of plasmid effects transformation efficiency. Bacteria are transformed for numerous different reasons. Some of these reasons may include expression of medically useful recombinant proteins such as insulin for treating a disease or vaccines for prevention of disease. Other reasons could be expression of proteins that confer on bacteria the ability to survive in particular environments such as to "clean up" contaminated environments in bioremediation.
+-+-+-+-+-
Best,
-Arnlan
arnlan

Post by arnlan »

So will my project look like this http://www.phschool.com/science/biology ... ysis1.html?

The only difference of my project and that is i will have 1 more plate for the LB:AMP:ARA. And also in my project i will be using different amounts of plasmids. So another difference is that i will have ampicillin in all my plates. AM i correct?
+-+-+-+-+-
Best,
-Arnlan
connief
Former Expert
Project Question: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Due Date: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.

Post by connief »

Yes, all that sounds good. As for "rehydrating bacteria", that depends on where you're getting your bacterial stock. What I'm assuming they're meaning is to resuspend the bacteria in a bit of nutrient broth and then streaking it out on a plate. Are you going to be taking your bacteria from colonies already growing on a plate or in liquid culture, or are you taking them from a frozen stock?
arnlan

Post by arnlan »

connief wrote:Yes, all that sounds good. As for "rehydrating bacteria", that depends on where you're getting your bacterial stock. What I'm assuming they're meaning is to resuspend the bacteria in a bit of nutrient broth and then streaking it out on a plate. Are you going to be taking your bacteria from colonies already growing on a plate or in liquid culture, or are you taking them from a frozen stock?
I'm not sure, but i think i will be taking the bacteria from colonies already growing in a plate.
+-+-+-+-+-
Best,
-Arnlan
connief
Former Expert

Post by connief »

Well, if you are going to be doing these experiments in a university lab, then you can always ask people in the lab what the best way is to prep your bacteria for transformation as per the procedures for this project.
arnlan

Post by arnlan »

Alright, sounds good.

If i have any questions prior to thursday, i'll ask.

Good Night
+-+-+-+-+-
Best,
-Arnlan
arnlan

Post by arnlan »

I actually have one more question. Is this project perfect for my level as an 8th grader? Is it below, average, or above my level? I would like to hear your inputs.
+-+-+-+-+-
Best,
-Arnlan
arnlan

Post by arnlan »

I would also like help finding a data table, where i will plot and put all my data. Is there one already, or will i have to make one.?
+-+-+-+-+-
Best,
-Arnlan
connief
Former Expert

Post by connief »

Hi,

I think this project is good for your level. The most important thing is that you're interested in the question that you're asking and that you understand what the experiment is testing and what your results tell you. As for a data table, I would first gather all your data and then we can figure out what is the best way to present it. If you are working with people in a university lab, you can always ask them for advice on what is the best way to present your results as well.

Connie
arnlan

Post by arnlan »

Hello,

I started working on the project on friday!!

It's working out well. Today we plated the ecoli on the 2 plates, and now we're waiting for them to grow. We just put them in the incubator.
+-+-+-+-+-
Best,
-Arnlan

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”