How well do disinfectants work? help my bacteria won't grow

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Demii_Jones
Project Question: How well do disinfectants work?
Project Due Date: 27th April
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

How well do disinfectants work? help my bacteria won't grow

Post by Demii_Jones »

Hi, I bought some agar powder on amazon, of which I read the reviews and someone said they used it to grow bacteria for a science fair project so I thought it would be fine. I have completed all the steps for this experiment and it has now been 2 days and there is no sign of bacterial growth. There does seem to be some lumps in the agar which I was unable to get out. Looking online, my agar plates look a little bit more yellowish coloured than others and I don't know if that's because of the type of agar or because it is mixed wrong. I am just wondering if this is the right type of agar to use. It's been stored at room temperature so this could also be a problem. I don't have time to really order from the US so I'm struggling a bit. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BWBB ... words=agar
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How well do disinfectants work? help my bacteria won't g

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi, I am sorry no one got back to you in a timely manner. Did you get the bacteria to work? I think the room temperature storage is fine, but I wonder how you prepared the plates? I think you should mix the agar with LB broth, or something similar, not just water.

If you still need help, let me know how you made them, and where you got the bacteria from, and I can help further.

Tonya

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”