STS Judges and other concerns I have been brooding on

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

andrewc2k16

STS Judges and other concerns I have been brooding on

Post by andrewc2k16 »

Before this Junior year, I did not take my studies seriously and am wondering if my past will have a significant effect on my application. Also, how do I choose my topic? I want to research something new, and I am fine with cramming in textbooks (after I find my area), but how can I be sure whether or not my topic is even possible? For example, I wanted to find out if heart conditions had side-effects and if these side-effects were traceable. What would happen if I reached a dead end?
One last thing: what are some fields where I might be able to finish research if 6 months or less?
MrsDez
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: STS Judges and other concerns I have been brooding on

Post by MrsDez »

Hi,

I would need more information on what type of project you want to do. We can begin with narrowing down to a specific heart condition are you researching.

MrsDez
jcschrandt
Former Expert

Post by jcschrandt »

Hi andrewc2k16! To rephrase your question, are you interested in learning about what causes the symptoms of a heart condition? You can start by looking at the ideas for heart-related projects on this website. There are a few on the effects of exercise and on the effects of caffeine. Another project you might be interested is learning how different people react differently to medications: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary .

In general, if you're looking to do a quick project, projects that involve running computer modeling or simulations and projects that use yeast or bacteria are generally quicker projects.

Please let us know if you have more question!
Jen
andrewc2k16

Post by andrewc2k16 »

how can i find a unique project? seems like theres way too many factors for any single project to be unique
heidigr
Former Expert

Post by heidigr »

Hello Andrewc2k16,
seems like theres way too many factors for any single project to be unique
I would argue that having too many factors means many ways for a single project to be unique, so maybe just focus on following your passion? :)

Good luck!

Heidi

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”