Mircrobiology/Environmental Contaminaton Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

brycerice11

Mircrobiology/Environmental Contaminaton Project

Post by brycerice11 »

Hi,
I'm doing a project where I am keeping 9 different liquids in my garage for two weeks. They are:
Distilled Water
Tap Water
Filtered Water
Root Beer
Snapple
Orange Juice With Pulp
Orange Juice Without Pulp
Tomato Juice
Condensed Milk.
Twice a day, I'm measuring their PPM contamination using a TDS meter, and recording the results over these two weeks.
I'm wondering if any bacteriologists or environmental scientists could just give their thoughts on my project. Anything at all would be helpful.
Also, my science teacher is asking for some basic information. So, if you could just include or occupation or place of work, that would be wonderful. If you don't want to share that, that's fine.
Thanks in advance!!
MrsDez
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Mircrobiology/Environmental Contaminaton Project

Post by MrsDez »

Hi,
Sounds like a interesting project. I want to better understand what your project is so that I can better assist you.

What are you exactly testing for in each liquid? What is your hypothesis?

Are you testing to see the difference in TDS for each liquid every day? What would make the TDS change or not change?
Are you recording change into temperature? How many hours apart are you planning to take measurements?

Here's a link to some information about TDS that might be of use to you:
http://www.tdsmeter.com/faqs/#what-is

Thanks
brycerice11

Post by brycerice11 »

First of all, thanks for replying! I appreciate it.

I'm testing the PPM contamination of every liquid. I want to discover the rates of change of contamination of these different liquids, and ascertain why the contamination of each liquid changes at that specific rate.

My hypothesis is that the liquids percentage of additional contamination descending to ascending will be in the order: Distilled Water, Filtered Water, Tap Water, Root Beer, Diet Snapple, Orange Juice No Pulp, Orange Juice Most Pulp, Tomato Juice, Condensed Milk.

I'm testing to see the difference in contamination over a 2 week period. I am measuring twice a day, once in the morning, once in the evening.

Hope that resolves any confusion!
brycerice11

Post by brycerice11 »

I'm sorry to trouble you, but my teacher is becoming anxious about my lack of an expert opinion. Anytime that you could respond to my clarification would be much appreciated!

Thanks Again!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”