The effect of Lactobacillus acidophilus on E. coli k-12 and ampicillin

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Ssciencesarah

The effect of Lactobacillus acidophilus on E. coli k-12 and ampicillin

Post by Ssciencesarah »

Hello, I was wondering if lactobacillus acidophilus and E. coli k-12 could be grown on an MRS agar plate together. For my school science fair I plan to find out if lactobacillus acidophilus will protect E. coli k-12 against an ampicillin antibiotic disk when both bacteria are grown in a Petri dish. My current plan is to grow the two together on an agar plate and place a disk of ampicillin on the plate. In another agar plate I plan to only grow E. coli and place a disk of ampicillin on that plate. This is to see whether the lactobacillus would protect the E. coli k-12 against an antibiotic disk. Is this experiment possible? Could I grow the two bacterias on the plate by streaking both and incubating both together in a larg chicken egg incubator? Thank you so much for reading!! I appreciate any help as I have had some difficulty finding answers online. :D :?: thanks again!!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”