Diabetes and Alpha Amylase

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

cat114

Diabetes and Alpha Amylase

Post by cat114 »

Hello,
I was looking to test the effect of herbs on lower diabetes or decreasing the chances of diabetes. I was reading through a similar project using alpha amylase to test this, but the procedure was very difficult for me to understand. Do you have any info on the relationship between alpha amylase and diabetes
catherineM99
Former Expert

Re: Diabetes and Alpha Amylase

Post by catherineM99 »

Hi cat114!

This sounds like an exciting experiment! Herbs are used to treat diabetes through phytotherapeutics, where the amylase is inhibited. Amylase or the breaks down oligosaccharides into simple sugars, which are then absorbed by the bloodstream. I found an experiment that investigates the effectiveness of different plant material in inhibiting amylase activity. The procedure was to dissolve the plant material in buffer, extract it at room temperature in buffer, then extract it boiling either in water or through a buffer. Some plants used were Acarbose, Bilberry, and Tamarind. Here’s the link to the full experiment: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... 6000100002

Good luck!
~Catherine M.
cat114

Re: Diabetes and Alpha Amylase

Post by cat114 »

Hello Ms. Catherine M.

Thank You for the link! This give me great insight into what I want to do. However, I was confused by certain aspects of the procedure. For example, why was the plant material dissolved in a buffer and how is this related to the alpha amylase inhibition. I am very passionate about this topic, and any help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Cat114
cat114

HELP PLEASE ! Diabetes and Alpha Amylase- Please simplify this document

Post by cat114 »

Hi Scientists,

I was actually working on a project concerning inhibitory potential of herbs on alpha amylase. I was looking for similar projects and was directed to this experiment.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... 6000100002

I am currently a sophomore and the procedure explained in this were very difficult to understand. Could someone explain this procedure to me in simple terms? Is there an easier way to do this without the need for all the chemicals mentioned. I only have 2 weeks left to do my project, and would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thank You,
Cat114

Moderator Note: Hello Cat, you will notice that I have moved your latest question to be with your previous posts so that the expert who was helping you will see that you have a follow-up question and can help you more quickly. Thanks!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”