Help Please!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

aluafau78

Help Please!!!

Post by aluafau78 »

"What is light pollution and its impact to the environment? What is my independent, controlled, and dependent variable?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help Please!!!

Post by SciB »

Hi,

We will be happy to help, but first you need to be more specific in what question you are asking. What is your hypothesis?

I know that the increased light from a city makes it difficult to see relatively dim astronomical subjects like the Milky Way galaxy, but what do you want to know? If you live in a dark-sky area then you can take pictures of the stars using a tripod and a longer exposure. Then if you could drive to a place with a lot of city light in the sky and repeat your photos you could do some sort of comparison to show how much the ambient light reduces visibility of dim celestial objects.

There are apps for smart phones that can allow you to measure light pollution and record the images of stars of various magnitudes that can be seen. There is actually a group devoted to the problem of light pollution, the International Dark Sky Association: http://www.darksky.org/

Check out their website and then get back to us with a hypothesis and method for testing it and we can help you.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”