Root to Shoot Ratio Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

c0fdb585d64740a8b1ef900a842ef51f

Root to Shoot Ratio Question

Post by c0fdb585d64740a8b1ef900a842ef51f »

Hi!
I'm doing a project testing the effects of the presence of ashes into soil as a way to provide the minerals and nutrients pinto beans need to grow and I got the idea from your website of measuring my plants' growth through the root to shoot ratio. Even though I've researched a lot, I have not yet fully understood the measurements that I have found that in theory my plants will have. In a paper that I found whilst researching, it stated that beans grown in P-deficient soil had 1.95:4.33 grams whilst those beans grown in soil with sufficient P resulted in 2.36:5.66 grams. I have not been able to find any video or website that can explain to me those numbers. Do you guys know how it works?
Thank you so much. :D
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Root to Shoot Ratio Question

Post by SciB »

Hi,

It would help if you could post again with a link to the paper and a description of where you saw the numbers that you quoted. Then we can hopefully tel you what they mean.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”