Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool For Identifying DNA

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

16_courtney

Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool For Identifying DNA

Post by 16_courtney »

I have no access to Agarose. And This Project is Due Very soon. I was wondering if there is anything I can possibly use to subsitute Agarose such as Gelatin. Can I use Gelatin as a subsitute for "Forensic Science:Building Your Own Tool For Identifying DNA"? And how do I substitute it?

Moderator note: I deleted your duplicate posts in the physical science forum. Science Buddies guidelines ask that you only submit your question once. Thank you.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool For Identifying DNA

Post by SciB »

I think you can use gelatin to run your DNA samples--try it.

Do one thing first, however. Put the gel into the electrophoresis tank, add the running buffer, turn on the current without loading the samples and let it run for 15 minutes before you load the DNA. This may help to reduce the impurities that can cause smearing of the DNA band.

If you have more questions, let us know.

Hope it works!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”