Ideas to expand project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

greetings

Ideas to expand project

Post by greetings »

Hi, I found a project on your website (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... rich-foods) and I made it my own by testing not only almond meal but a meat source as well to observe the difference. I loved this project and like to expand on this project (preferably still using as iron as the tested mineral) but I don't know how. Could you please suggest a way that expand this project further?

Thank you.
nguyenmccarty
Former Expert
Project Question: Ask an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Ideas to expand project

Post by nguyenmccarty »

Hi! I like that you expanded on the project by testing a meat as well as the suggested almond meal.

In terms of taking it further, you could very simply consider the fact that different meats (beef, chicken, duck, etc.) have different iron contents.

In a slightly different context, it might be useful to compare different preparations of the same food. For example, whether a vegetable is raw or cooked may influence the quality or ability of a nutrient to be absorbed. Even how it's cooked (steamed, microwaved, etc.) or stored (fresh, canned, frozen) might affect this.

To brainstorm a bit more, I suggest you search factors that influence the nutrient content and availability of foods. This might give you some ideas on where else to take this project. Just make sure that if you're comparing different versions of the same food that you control for the amount of iron in each preparation. (For example, I'm making this up, but if for some reason canned spinach has a different amount of iron than fresh spinach, then remember to take that into account when you compare how quickly any iron in your samples is dissolved into your test solutions.)

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”