Mirrors vs Glasses

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

SaraAlh

Mirrors vs Glasses

Post by SaraAlh »

So this has been floating around my head for a while. Im sure no one ever asked this. So im nearsighted and i have my own glasses and when i look in the mirror with my glasses on, i can see myself more and i can also see my oily skin and my puffy eyelid. But when i dont wear my glasses and i get really close to the mirror to see myself up-close ( until i can see myself clearly) it seems different from how i look when the glasses was on. My skin looks better and my physical features seems smooth too. Overall im saying that i look better when im very very close to the mirror instead of wearing glasses which makes me see my ugly self. The question is 'why do the glasses give different results?' And which one is showing me how others see me?. I really hope its the mirror :) I got as close as possible to the mirror so i can see my face. :D

Thank you for reading this, appreciation for who replys!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Mirrors vs Glasses

Post by SciB »

Hi Sara,

I like your curiosity and mental challenges. I'm not sure if this is part of a high school science project but maybe it could be.

My impression would be that it is the light that makes the difference in your perception. Have you ever shined a flashlight under your chin in a dark room? It makes you look really creepy!

Everything about light--the color, direction and intensity--affects how you see things. When you are close to your face looking in the mirror the light will be different from when you are further away with your glasses on.

OK. That's my hypothesis. It could be wrong! I don't know whether the light where you are standing is going to change that much. I guess you could try taking a selfie with a camera instead of the mirror, but the camera lens can alter things too.

People's perception of faces is a really interesting area of study. Some studies show photos of people trying to express certain emotions and the viewers have to guess which emotion it is. Facial expressions--smiles, eye contact, laugh lines, eyebrow movements--I think are the most important cues.

Are you going to try and make a project out of this? I hope so!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”