The Effect of Natural Antibiotics and Bacterial Resistance

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

AkiraLe

The Effect of Natural Antibiotics and Bacterial Resistance

Post by AkiraLe »

Hello. I'm testing the effect of natural antibiotics on bacterial resistance. I'm thinking about applying the natural antibiotics on antibiotic resistant bacteria. What kind of bacteria could I order? And would I be able to get it off amazon cheaply?
Lastly, do you know anywhere I could find past experiment's results on the same topic that would be posted online? I want to get an idea of the procedure of the project and find something I can compare results to in my science fair papers.
Thank you!
Last edited by AkiraLe on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrJay
Former Expert

Re: The Effect of Natural Antibiotics and Bacterial Resistance

Post by DrJay »

When you say "natural antibiotics", what exactly do you mean? As far as the bacteria to buy, go to Carolina Biological, and order Escherichia. coli and Staphylococcus epidermidis. These two bacteria are the most commonly used for your type of experiments, and they are both non-pathogenic (ie they can't readily cause an infection). E. coli is gram negative and S. epi is gram positive. The cultures are $11.50 each. Don't forget you will also need media. Tryptic soy agar and broth would work well for both bacteria.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”