C. Elegans based project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

756cb257352342c48f7cbe8bd11a575f

C. Elegans based project

Post by 756cb257352342c48f7cbe8bd11a575f »

Hello

I have to do a science research project andam looking to use either zebrafish embryos or c.elegans as the model organism. I have looked at various articles, papers and have studied the life cycle as well but am not able to find a good topic for the research using either zebrafish or c.elegans.
My project needs to be complex, multi-faceted and must not have been done before or if it has been done before, there is potential for further research/to extend it. Can you please suggest on how I can get started/possible ideas?

Use of any NEW bacteria/substance/drug.. any new discoveries, etc. using the model organisms: zebrafish embryos or c.elegans OR a disease prevention or use of a fairly new antioxidant/supplement which is not commonly used and research can be done or expanded on. I would need to have assays or established procedures / papers on how I can do the experiment but would want to make sure that I can either add to existing research or do new research and maintain originality.
756cb257352342c48f7cbe8bd11a575f

Model Organism to test testosterone levels - URGENT!

Post by 756cb257352342c48f7cbe8bd11a575f »

Hello,

I was thinking about doing a project that involved me testing natural substances (that have had little or no previous research done on, but may have potential in having beneficial effects for androgen-related diseases) and was looking for a model organism that can be utilized to test testosterone levels on/if there are assays to quantify testosterone levels.. I can't use mice/rats, but possibly C. Elegans, fruit flies, or zebrafish or if there any other invertebrate model organisms you can suggest.

This is urgent; I would appreciate a response ASAP!

Thank you.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: C. Elegans based project

Post by MadelineB »

Hello and thank you for your patience in waiting for a response.
If you are a high school student doing a science project, please describe your project in more detail. The Science Buddies project guide will help you work through developing the background and hypotheses for your project.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ience-fair

If you need more ideas for your project, the Science Buddies project database has over 1100 projects. You can search the database with key words. You might find several projects of interest and perhaps you can combine several.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ject-ideas

These projects have a background section which will list references to other research. Studying these references will also help you develop your own project.

Be sure to let us know if you have more questions.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”