Is there some way I can do my project without a lab?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Yeep

Is there some way I can do my project without a lab?

Post by Yeep »

Hello all,

I'm trying to work on a project for ISEF concerning how gut bacteria affect checkpoint inhibitors. I want to see whether it is the bacteria affecting the treatment or another factor helping the bacteria and the treatment. Is there a way to find
necessary data without a lab, and if not, how could I convert my project into one not requiring a lab? My school is Title I so
I can't get resources from there :(

Thanks for reading this far :)
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Is there some way I can do my project without a lab?

Post by SciB »

Hi,

The influence of gut microbes on health and disease is a great topic, but unfortunately not suitable for most home labs. There are companies that will analyze fecal samples and give you a report on the type of microbes present but they are rather expensive.

I am not even sure how to test your hypothesis in a lab. The only thing I can suggest is to look for data online that you can use to answer your questions. I know that is not very satisfying when you want to do experiments, but it is the first step in designing an effective project. When we write a grant proposal to send to a funding agency we have to do extensive research online to learn the best ways of answering our specific questions. The experiments have to be described in detail with the proper controls and statistical verification. This takes several months and can be difficult and discouraging when as usually happens the funding agency rejects the proposal.

I wish I had a better answer and maybe one of the other experts can come up with something. Working in a university research lab with a mentor is the ideal way to learn science, but there are few opportunities like that.

Good luck,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”