condensation in altitude question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

beebon123

condensation in altitude question

Post by beebon123 »

a parcel of air is at sea level with a temp of 25 degrees celsius and a relative humidity of 50%. If the parcel of air is forced to rise up the windward slope of a 5000 meter mountain, and no additional water vapor is added or subtracted, at approximately what altitude will condensation occur?

I kind of get this question? The capacity at 25 is 20.4gs of water so it had 12.2gs of water in it. So then it just has to get to get somewhere between 17 and 18 degrees to condense. But I don't know the DLR and I'm assuming I don't have to and shouldn't just use 10 degrees. I feel like the answer is in the question somewhere and I don't know what to do next. Can anyone help?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: condensation in altitude question

Post by SciB »

The purpose of this forum is to provide help for high school science fair projects only. We do not answer homework questions or requests for general information. Please try another source for an answer to your question.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”