Experiment on recovering browned apples with salt

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

sm2468

Experiment on recovering browned apples with salt

Post by sm2468 »

Hello,

I recently conducted an experiment where I use different concentrations of salt in 100ml of water, in attempt to recover already discolored cylindric apple cores (2cm long). The higher the salt concentration, the whiter the apple is.

I understand why the apple turns brown at the beginning, however what I don't understand is how and why salt can recover (whiten) a browned apple.

Thank you!
SM
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Re: Experiment on recovering browned apples with salt

Post by RicaC »

Dear sm2468,

Apples turn brown because of oxidation. Salt can recover a browned apple because it interferes with the apple's oxidation. According to howstuffworks, "salt around the outside of the food draws water molecules out and replaces them with salt molecules until the amount of salt is equal inside and out". This shows that salt can pull water away from an apple, meaning that it is harder for oxygen to reach its surface.

I hope this helps you understand why salt can recover a browned apple.

RicaC
sm2468

Post by sm2468 »

Dear RicaC, thanks for your answer! :)
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Post by RicaC »

Dear sm2468,

No problem. I am glad I was able to help!

RicaC

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”