Can't obtain E coli/pure bacteria. Need substitute for experiment.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

teacup21

Can't obtain E coli/pure bacteria. Need substitute for experiment.

Post by teacup21 »

In my country, places that carry these research materials are very limited, and I am unsure if I can buy E coli or any other bacterium.

So what are possible substitutes for a high school student doing affect of antibiotics on bacteria (e.g. garlic powder)? Preferably something that grows on agar + beef broth.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Can't obtain E coli/pure bacteria. Need substitute for experiment.

Post by SciB »

Hi, and welcome to Scibuddies. I am sorry that you are having trouble starting your project. In the U.S. and UK, students use E coli bacterial cultures that they purchase from a company called Carolina Biologicals based in the U.S. https://www.carolina.com/bacteria/esche ... ion=e+coli

I don't know if Carolina sells to your country but you could find out. That would be the best way to get a pure culture of non-pathogenic E coli K12. You can, of course, grow bacteria on agar plus beef broth, but you will get a mixed culture and some of them may be human pathogens. That is why it is NOT recommended to do that.

Testing various compounds like garlic powder for antibiotic properties is an interesting experiment, and you can use the agar diffusion method to look for zones of inhibition (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... inhibition)

Let me know if you think you could order E coli and then I can help you with the experimental method.

Best wishes,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”