POLY / OMNI climate experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

brandonKF18

POLY / OMNI climate experiment

Post by brandonKF18 »

[moderator removed personal information as per Ask the Expert Guidelines]

with all the talk about global warming and understanding nature, i am curious about how it all ties together.

say there was an island, the size is arbitrary, but it is basically a circle, like the face of a clock.

along the equator, 9 to 3, there is a mountain ridge. the north, at 12, has the prevailing winds. the west at 9 has warm currents, and the east at 3 has cold currents.

the north half will have more moisture because the ridge blocks it going south. how will it play out in terms of climate zones?

how distinct are moisture laden winds and warm winds?

i live in the pacific northwest, the redwoods rely on the fog coming in from the coast. apparently they are caused by warm and cold currents colliding.

of course the winds and water can come in at any angle. theoretically, how many zones could be fit on such a land?

jungle, desert, forest, plains ?

thank you, Brandon
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: POLY / OMNI climate experiment

Post by MadelineB »

Hello, the Ask the Expert forums are for students in grades K-12 who are doing science experiments. You are registered as an adult - there are other sites on the internet where your questions would be more appropriate. Thank you.
brandonKF18

Re: POLY / OMNI climate experiment

Post by brandonKF18 »

sorry, i was actually looking around for such a site when i found this. it would seem to be an interesting question. since the experiment has so many factors it was hard to find the right expert. can you recommend a site, or person? maybe you can forward the query and publish the response. i figured 12th grade was close enough to college. thanks.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”