ChezzieK

Antibiotics and Viruses

Postby ChezzieK » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:21 am

Hi, I'm having trouble with a practice exam question, can anyone help?

Why is it ineffective to treat viral disease with antibiotics?
a. Pathogenic RNA viruses have a high rate of mutation, producing new genetic varieties that are insensitive to antibiotic treatment.
b. Due to excessive antibiotic use, most viruses have evolved to be resistant to antibiotics.
c. Antibiotics inhibit enzymes specific to bacteria and have no effect on viral enzymes.
d. Antibiotics inhibit enzymes specific to fungi and have no effect on viral enzymes.

Iv'e done some research and I understand viruses more, however I still can't seem to answer this question. I'm pretty sure the answer is not B or D, so I'm tossing up between A and C. If you can direct me to the right place to find the answer I would be very grateful. C

AkaAlex
Former Student Expert

Re: Antibiotics and Viruses

Postby AkaAlex » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi, thanks for your question!

The reason antibiotics do not work on viruses is because viruses utilize different survival mechanisms as opposed to bacteria, in addition to having different physiology. Antibiotics are specifically designed to inhibit certain mechanisms and organelle in bacteria, such as ribosomes (protein synthesis), DNA (replication), and the cell wall (preventing the bacteria from building one). Viruses are just too different an organism from bacteria to be affected by antibiotics' targeted approach. Therefore, the answer would be "c. Antibiotics inhibit enzymes specific to bacteria and have no effect on viral enzymes."

ChezzieK

Re: Antibiotics and Viruses

Postby ChezzieK » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 am

Thank you so much AKA Alex. I am eternally grateful!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”