Slime Mold Experiment Questions

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

6572e3d85f334108adccb4f409f557c9

Slime Mold Experiment Questions

Post by 6572e3d85f334108adccb4f409f557c9 »

I'm doing an experiment involving slime mold and culturing slime mold so I had two relating questions:
1. Is this considered cell culturing and will I therefore need to do it in a lab?
2. Can I separate one slime mold into smaller slime molds and then will they grow larger?

Thank you.
AkaAlex
Former Student Expert

Re: Slime Mold Experiment Questions

Post by AkaAlex »

Hi, thanks for your question!

Since you are culturing slime mold cells, this is considered cell culturing. Labs are generally very sterile work environments which is what makes them optimal for performing sterile technique and protecting your cultures. Slime molds undergo mitosis where only a single cell is necessary to grow a colony of cells. This means it is possible to make multiple cultures from a base slime mold. Slime molds will grow as large as their environment allows them to (considering nutrients and population density in the dish), you will be able to grow more slime molds from one slime mold.

Good luck on your experiment :D

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”