Should I find a mentor?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

kdong73

Should I find a mentor?

Post by kdong73 »

Hi!
So I have an idea for a science fair project, but it would require me to find a lab and a supervisor, which means I would have to email some professors at a nearby college. I wouldn't mind doing this, but I'm concerned that they probably won't help me because I'm only 15 years old, and I haven't taken a college level biology course yet (which is the field my project idea is in).

I was thinking of just waiting until next year and doing a project that doesn't need a lab for now, but I'm afraid that in a year the topic of my idea won't be as original or relevant.

What should I do?
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Should I find a mentor?

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Kdong73,
Welcome to Science Buddies! Have you read the Science Buddies "help" on finding a mentor? Here's the link:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tem-mentor

Perhaps you could combine your chances - look for a mentor AND work on a project now that doesn't require a mentor BUT maybe you can pick a project which will lead to the project you want to do with the mentor. This will provide you with more experience which should help you find a mentor willing to help you.

Here's the link to the Science Buddies project database which has over 1200 projects. You can search for projects by topic or you could browse through all of them:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ject-ideas

Remember that you aren't limited to a specific project. Maybe you could combine the parts of two or more projects to put together the project that interests you most.

Hope some of this helps -- and do not hesitate to ask more questions.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”