RESEARCH ABOUT STAPHYLOCOCCUS EPIDERMIDIS (NEED HELP)

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

itsminervaaa

RESEARCH ABOUT STAPHYLOCOCCUS EPIDERMIDIS (NEED HELP)

Post by itsminervaaa »

Good afternoon!
I am Minerva, a Grade 11 student from the Philippines. Our task this school year is to come up with our own researches. My group's research is all about using Moringa oleifera leaf and seed extract as an antibacterial facial serum to naturally control the growth of Staphylococcus epidermidis found on the skin. We're thinking about using Mannitol Salt agar for culturing the bacteria. Do you have any thoughts about it or other agar recommendations? Also, what method is better in testing the antibacterial activity of the leaf and seed extracts against S. epidermidis: disk diffusion or agar well diffusion method?

Thank you!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: RESEARCH ABOUT STAPHYLOCOCCUS EPIDERMIDIS (NEED HELP)

Post by SciB »

Hi Minerva,

Sorry that nobody has answered your question so far, but I will see what I can do to help you.

Mannitol salt agar is the medium of choice for diagnostic tests of s. epidermidis (http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/courses/bio14 ... msase.html) but I am sure that the bacteria will also grow on plain old nutrient agar or LB agar.

I prefer to use the disk diffusion method for testing an antibiotic because it is simple and effective.

Post again with more questions and we will try to answer quicker.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”