Science Fair: Measuring mold on drywall

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

lwier12

Science Fair: Measuring mold on drywall

Post by lwier12 »

How should I go about measuring mold growth on different types of drywall? My science fair project is on the effect of drywall composition upon mold growth. I was was thinking of using a transparent centimeter grid, is that what is should use? How should I then count/measure the mold growth, what is the best way to go about this?

-thank you
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair: Measuring mold on drywall

Post by SciB »

Hi,

Mold is a big problem for lots of homes that have been subjected to flooding or rain coming through holes in the roof from the hurricanes we have had this year.

I would take consecutive photos of your mold growth as a way to show changes, but measuring the growth with a transparent grid would be even better. You could even take a picture of each area with the grid in place.

How are you maintaining even moisture over all the drywall pieces? The dampness is the cause of mold growth and so you need to make sure that each piece is as damp as every other, otherwise your experimental results are not going to be accurate.

Also, be sure to do at least three samples of each type of drywall so that you can average the results for better accuracy.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”