Astrobiology/Food Science project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Gabriel30

Astrobiology/Food Science project

Post by Gabriel30 »

Good afternoon!
Well it turns out that I wanna make a project that helps the astronauts with the variety of problems they have with food-
So, I thought I can find aout a way to grow plants in mars, but I don't know how to replicate the mars' environment to test my project.

What can I do?
17eugenekim
Expert
Project Question: To assist others in the AAE forums
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Astrobiology/Food Science project

Post by 17eugenekim »

Hello and welcome to Science Buddies!

I think this is a fascinating research question! However I do want to clarify what you are thinking. When you say "find a way to grow plants in mars," is this about growing plant life under Martian conditions (like with Martian soil), or is this about creating a suitable horticulture habitat on Mars (e.g. building an Earth-like greenhouse)? It is well worth it to slow down, take a step back, and consider exactly what your experiment parameters are, and what the boundaries of your proposed problem are.

Either way I suspect fully replicating Martian conditions will be difficult and expensive. I suggest starting by asking the question, "what exactly is the Martian environment?" Look for resources on the Internet that might tell you what the soil is like, what kind of water you would have access to, and maybe even what atmospheric conditions you would be using. From there, you can narrow your project down into a manageable scope, for instance just looking at Martian soil conditions and seeing how plants might be able to grow in them.

Whatever you do, in a project like this, background research will be crucial as it will set the basis for what you are testing. That said, you don't have to try and perfectly replicate Martian conditions - after all, this is a rather complicated problem. Again, look at what variables you would be testing or manipulating (what aspect of Martian soil are you looking at?), and work from there.

Hope that was helpful. We're happy to help with additional questions!
Gabriel30

Post by Gabriel30 »

Regards!

Well, I meant to be able to plant directly on the soil of Mars, but I prefer the idea of ​​how to install a kind of greenhouse.

I think I could do a project to create an aquaponic system that can be sustained on Mars. I like this approach more. What do you think?

I'll go to investigate what you told me meanwhile.

see you!
Gabriel30

Post by Gabriel30 »

Hey!

Well, I have already been researching and I want my idea to be about a greenhouse that can trap oxygen from the plants in some way, I just have to see how.

Also as theoretically I would have to make my greenhouse so that the plants resist the radiation and the atmospheric pressure of Mars

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”